Numerous saltwater and freshwater fish are consumed by humans all around the world for their provision of healthful Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Protein and other nutrients such as B12, Selenium, Phosphorous and more. Ocean nutrition gives these vertebrates and shellfish the qualities we are looking for nutritionally.
Let’s bypass eating the fish and go straight to saltwater and freshwater plant foods - phytoplankton - for their powerful health benefits. Phytoplankton are absolutely fascinating as they produce half of our planet’s oxygen supply and absorb one-third of our global carbon dioxide output. These microscopic organisms are barely visible to the naked eye, yet form the fertile land of the oceans, feed the ocean’s wildlife and help the sustenance of human life. Mind-Blowing!
Types of Phytoplankton
- Blue-green algae (cyanobacteria)
- Green algae
- Yellow-green algae
- Golden-brown algae
- Brown algae
- Red algae
Let’s take just ONE type of freshwater Phytoplankton - the blue-green algae - and explore the amazing benefits of consuming just one type of blue-green algae … SPIRULINA!
Fun Facts: The Latin name for Spirulina is Arthrospira Plantensis. It is spiral-coil shaped, and is one of the oldest inhabitants of our planet. Spirulina grows in mineral rich and alkaline lakes, especially near volcanoes. It is highly nutritious – classified as a SuperFood!
SPIRULINA’s Nutritional Profile:
- According to NASA, the nutritional value of 1kg of Spirulina is equivalent to 1,000kg of assorted fruits and vegetables.
- It is easily digestible and immediately absorbed.
- 60% protein - making it one of the richest vegetal sources of protein known.
- Vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, folic acid, biotin, inositol and E.
- Minerals: potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, selenium and zinc.
- GLA Fatty Acid - found in high amounts in mother’s milk and Spirulina. Use Spirulina with babies and children who were not breast fed; it is great for building the immune system, and is important for healthy growth and development of children.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acid - alpha-linolenic acid.
- Sulfolipids, polysaccharides and chlorophyll.
- Phycocyanin - a blue-pigmented biliprotein which has been shown to help build neurotransmitters for mental function and prevent the formation of cancer colonies.
- Beta-carotene and other carotenes.
- Contains all 22 essential and non-essential amino acids.
SPIRULINA’s Healthy Benefits:
- Used for diabetes, anemia, cancer, arthritis, cataracts, glaucoma, heart problems, AIDS, hypertension, strokes, sinusitis, gastrointestinal issues, hepatitis, hypoglycemia, malnutrition, obesity, overeating, skin issues and the immune system.
- Shown to help build white blood cells - especially with cancer treatments.
- Decreases LDLs and triglycerides.
- Detoxifies the body of environmental pollutants, especially heavy metals.
- Supports kidney and liver detoxification processes.
- Protects the kidneys from medications and toxic chemicals.
- High ORAC value.
- Radiation sickness - by decreasing high levels of IgE (allergy sensitivity).
- Helps to make connective tissues more elastic.
- Anti-inflammatory properties.
- Dissolves fat deposits
- Decreases blood fats, therefore protecting the arteries.
- Anti-viral activity and stimulates the immune system.
- Decreases candida overgrowth.
- Energy, overeating and weight loss
- Recommended daily intake is 1-5 grams or more.
SPIRULINA Products available at Nature’s Remedy in Ellicottville:
- Spirulina Capsules by Nature’s Sunshine. Arthrospira platensis from Hawaii. One capsule = 400 mg
- Spirulina in Bulk by StarWest. Arthrospira platensis from Hawaii
- Super Algae by Nature’s Sunshine. Spirulina, Klamath Lake blue-green algae and Chlorella
- Nature’s Harvest by Nature’s Sunshine. Organic, Vegan, non-GMO Pea Protein Powder (Vanilla)
- Ultimate Green Zone (Capsules or Bulk). POWER GREENS! Amaranth seed, brown rice, flax seed, spirulina algae, fructooligosaccharides, quinoa seed, flax seed hull lignans, chia seed, chlorella algae millet seed, alfalfa leaf and stem juice concentrate, licorice root, soy lecithin, carrot root, lemon grass aerial parts, papaya fruit concentrate, artichoke leaves, spinach leaves and stems, broccoli flowers, kale leaves, asparagus stems, red beet root extract, bromelain (from pineapple fruit extract), chicory root, acerola fruit extract, horsetail stem and strobilus, lemon bioflavonoid extract, sodium copper chlorophyllin, parsley leaves and pau d’arco bark
- GABA Plus - GABA, glutamine, passionflower aerial parts, taurine and spirulina
SPIRULINA’s Clinical Observations: “I have used Spirulina for the past 25 years because of its highly concentrated form of plant protein and fatty acids, its cellular healing properties, its green power that promotes beautiful aging and its detoxifying properties. I combine 4 capsules of this SuperFood with 4 capsules of Bee Pollen every morning and every afternoon to balance my blood sugar levels, increase my deep core energy, improve my brain function, strengthen my vision and purify my skin. This SuperFood can feed our planet!” - Herbal Enthusiast and Plant Lover
“Spirulina has been part of my supplemental nutrition for the past 15 years with 3-4 capsules as needed for energy to pull me right through that 2:00-4:00pm fatigue. Dr Kristina also started me on the daily Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie (below) about 6 weeks ago. I can feel the difference in my energy, skin, sleep, mood and brain function. Spirulina has anti-viral and heavy metal removal properties both necessary for healing current and past Epstein Barr Viruses, Cytomegaloviruses and Shingles Viruses.” - Current Client and Spirulina Promoter
- Drink It Down! Water, the juice of one whole lemon, and 3 opened capsules of Spirulina
- Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie (created by Anthony William): Blend together 2 frozen bananas, 2 cups frozen wild blueberries, 1 peeled orange, 1 cup cilantro, 4 opened capsules of Spirulina, ½ teaspoon of liquid Dulse and 1 teaspoon of Barley Grass Juice powder.
- Spirulina Face Mask: ¾ tsp spirulina powder, 1 tsp raw honey, 1 tsp plain, unsweetened yogurt, 1 drop geranium essential oil (frankincense, lavender or patchouli). Combine and apply to face (good for two face masks!)
- Spirulina Smoothie (Great for kids who weren’t breast fed): 2 cups frozen mango, 1 frozen banana, 1 cup coconut milk, 1/2 avocado, 1 teaspoons Spirulina powder, 1 scoop Love and Peas Sugar Free
- Spirulina Baby Formula: 4oz organic coconut water, 8oz organic almond milk, 2 tsp organic coconut milk, 1 tsp Spirulina, 1 tsp Agave Syrup